Monday, December 5, 2011

Daily Inspiration

I'm a winter girl for about 1 week, after that, I have had quite enough and find myself wanting spring so bad I can taste it. To ease the dreary, freezing, winter days, I cleared off a spot on our indoor potting bench and set up a seed-starting, plant-growing station. To speed things up, I use a seedling heat mat that stays on constantly to keep the soil temperature 10-20 degrees above the room's temperature, and a grow light set on a timer to give the new seedlings 16 hours of sun (sounds pretty ideal, doesn't it? I wouldn't mind at all having a human-sized station like that set-up!). 
Here's what's coming-up! 
'Sweet Italian' Basil
I used a mixture of one-part Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Mix, and one-part milled sphagnum moss/no damp off seed-starting mix.

Looks like I am going to need to do a little thinning...

On the other side of the flat is  'French Perfume' Lavender
No sign of it yet.
 (Germination time is 18-28 days- maybe a bit shorter due to the consistent soil temperature- we'll see.)

Now is a great time to start herbs on your windowsill. You don't need all the fancy gadgets, just a container with drainage, seed-starting/potting mix, saran wrap to make a make-shift grow dome, seeds, and a sunny windowsill! 
I like to grow basil, cilantro, parsley, chives, rosemary, and salad greens on my windowsill! 

No comments:

Post a Comment