Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Planning Ahead

I am always so grateful for the first spot of color in the spring after what seem like the longest, darkest days, when all I want to do is get outside and work in the garden. I am an instant gratification kind of girl, so planting bulbs in the fall oftentimes isn't hugely satisfying, but a few months later I am so happy that I did.


This past fall was the first I was able to plant bulbs in flower beds (my husband and I just bought a house and moved out of a rental), but there are ways to have bulbs even if you can't plant them directly in the ground or don't want to go to all the work of planting them in the ground (it gets a little tiring, I will admit, bending over for hours digging little holes for each bulb). Any kind of bulb (tulip, daffodil, crocus, hyacinth, etc.), works beautifully planted in pots for your front porch, back patio or even tucked into your flower beds! I write about it now, because it does take just a little bit of planning ahead. I am gathering up the bulbs I want in the next couple days to begin the project! I love to have something pretty by my front door every season, so this is always a fun way to ensure that it's pretty in the spring! It's fun to mix and match bulbs or have just a pot full of one color (very striking).


Here's how you do it:


Option #1
* Gather up the bulbs of your choice
* Put them in cold storage (a cool garage, cellar, refrigerator) for 8-12 weeks depending on the type of bulb you chose (some require 8 weeks, some require 10-12).
* Take out of cold storage in the early spring (after required chill time). Pot bulbs the depth indicated on bulb tag in good potting soil (I use Miracle Grow potting mix). You can use any size, shape, color of container you want!
* Keep evenly moist, don't let dry out completely but make sure not to give them too much water or it will rot the bulb.
* Put out on front porch when out of danger of freezing temperatures.

Option#2
* There is one other way to do it, but it may just be slightly more touchy depending on what kind of conditions you have at your house. You can plant bulbs in pots now, keep them outside under covered patio, awning, etc.(to keep them protected from hard frost), but you must make sure to keep the roots damp, but not overly wet, just as with all potted plants this time of year. This would require watering every couple weeks or so. I tend to go with option #1 because it doesn't require me going out when it's freezing cold to water my plants!

That's it!!! Simple isn't it?

Here is some picture inspiration to get the juices flowing!










Happy Planting!
~Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment