Thursday, January 7, 2010

It's Time To Start Seeds

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Most would say I am crazy, with the cold weather, bad roads, etc....but this is the time to 'take time'. This is the time when I dream and plan of the coming warm months with my own veggies right outside my kitchen door.
I am the person that does all of the seed packet orders for Andrews, which only serves to peak my interests of the things that I have been wanting to try. Some of the things that are on my list are Celeriac, also known as root celery. Bitter melon is another one, it is an edible melon but is also used as a decorative plant that can be grown on a trellis or fence. It is a tasty, mildly bitter fruit that gives delicious flavor to stir-fries and Oriental dishes. My list is long and my days are short so I need to stay focused!!!

This is also a time to start tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. These three crops are easy to start and exciting to see grow. They need more days in the soil and more heat to produce so it's a good idea to get them started right away. I started all of these today at Andrews.
Another good reason to start your own plants is to be able to choose the varieties you want. We have very good commercial growers but they only have so much space for different varieties. I like heirloom, and organic varieties and those are very hard to find from a grower so I start my own.
I want to encourage all of you to make the month of January a month to have fun and enjoy each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment