Friday, September 14, 2012

Daily Inspiration: My favorite Grass

This is, without a doubt, my absolute favorite grass...
Northern Sea Oats
(Chasmanthium latifolium)

I love this grass for many reasons. First, it's a clumping grass, meaning it won't spread every which way in your garden. Second, it has an almost bamboo-like structure, while still remaining soft and almost fragile looking. The third reason (the best reason) is that it's beautiful. By mid-summer, it is COVERED with these beautiful, arching 'oats' that hang daintily and move gracefully in the wind. The oats turn from a grassy-green to a sandy-wheat by the end of fall. When cut, they bring the finishing touch to all my garden bouquets for the house. I just love them. I don't know if two clumps of these will do it. I must have more! 
~L

No comments:

Post a Comment