Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Daily Inspiration

I have to admit that when I first started working with cacti and succulents I wasn't a huge fan. They seemed so unfriendly and boring.
 I was wrong.
The more time I've spent caring for them, the more I have been able to see their subtle beauty. The intricate design each has, and let me tell you, you won't find such beautiful color and intricate patterns in other plants as you will in some of these cacti and succulents!  I have grown to really love all cacti and succulents-to the point of wanting to collect some of the more rare varieties (have you ever seen a Calamar Squid Agave, a 'Bloodspot' Mangave, or a Spiral Aloe? I would love to have any one of these!). They have a beauty uniquely their own, and were created to be survivors. Most other plants would shrivel at the site of where these relish and thrive.

This is an Aeonium 'Zwartkop'
Beautiful.

I have found the best schedule for the cacti and succulents in our sunroom is to water them every 10 days, and add a little cactus fertilizer every other time you water. They do great!
~L

No comments:

Post a Comment