Saturday, February 11, 2012

Daily Inspiration: Getting With It!

This is my makeshift vegetable garden/raised bed my husband and I built (due to the fact that I planted a French knot garden in my vegetable garden spot...priorities). It looks quite pretty when it is full of beautiful plants in season. Last year I grew a cucumber up a topiary form on one side, had trailing petunias spilling out of it, PLUS was able to grow green onions, cilantro, red mustard, kale, 5 different types of greens, carrots, peas, peppers, and other misc. flowers! It could definitely use another coat of stain (last years has worn off), but it still gives me about 10 sq. ft. of space which will grow quite a bit of produce! I am too impatient to wait for March to sow my spring crops, so I ran a heating cable about 3" underneath the soil, and put together these hoops to create a sort of mini-greenhouse. I will attach some greenhouse plastic to it tonight after I have sown and watered in some carrots, radishes, spinach, lettuce, kale, and peas! If it doesn't work like I hope it will, no worries. I will just start over next month sans heating cable! At least it makes me feel like I am doing something in the garden other than cleanup- I want to grow some food! :)
~L

2 comments:

  1. I love the hoops! They are so elegant! You should write out a tutorial! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please share on how you did the pipe, I would love to make one, Thank You Diana Andrews

    ReplyDelete